Me Translated Into Japanese

I usually translate stuff from Japanese to English, so it was an odd feeling when a few years back an interview I did about the MOTHER 3 translation was translated into Japanese! What was even more interesting was that the translator had contacted me for extra clarification on stuff – man, that’s a translator’s dream!

Anyway, if by some chance you know Japanese, here’s a copy of said Japanese translation interview: link

11 Responses to “Me Translated Into Japanese”

1. Archaic Sage says:

When reading through it, do you find that you would’ve translated it differently?

I haven’t re-read it in full in a few years so I dunno, but I do know that there’s no way I could write anything that complex in Japanese, my writing skill’s not up to that level. So I’m very grateful that my words could be translated so closely – it’s an interesting feeling, being on the other side of a translator!

2. Pepperman says:

Hello, Mato.
    I can’t speak english too well, because it’s not my native language (I’m from Colombia).
    I really LOVE the MOTHER 3 translation that you did, and I enjoy the stories on Legends of Localization.
    Anyway, I’d like to ask you a question: Do you heard something about Rhythm Tengoku? It’s a great GBA game which sequels were released on Nintendo DS and Wii, but this one stayed in Japan.
    There are some people who are trying to translate the game:
    They need some help about japanese translations (They completed the most of the game’s graphics and stuff), but there’s a few missing things to translate.
    Please Mato, could you help them?

3. Noella says:

Hi, I just wanted to ask for tips or advice for how you turned your hobby of translating as a profession because I really love japanese and korean language, as well as culture… and I don’t know whether I should take japanese or korean in university to do be a translator or I can just continue self learning it.

4. DaVince says:

I have just seen your “My translations” page. Are you a legend, or something? Seeing that crazy long list somehow really, really motivates me to get my own Japanese up to a point where I can properly start translating…

I also thoroughly enjoyed MOTHER 3 and some of the other ROM translations you contributed on. And all the content on Legends of Localization is enjoyable to read.

Yours,
    A new fan

5. Suto says:

Hi Mato,
    what I always wanted to know was, what the professional translation process for anime looks like, or more precisely, what the translators are provided with normally.
    Is getting a written script the rule or the exception? If it’s the exception, is it all up to the hearing comprehension of the translator then? And if so, what tricks or methods does a translator use normally in situations, when, even after the 100th time of listening to a scene, a line can’t be deciphered? How was it especially in the beginning, when one still hadn’t that much experience?
    A lot of maybe somewhat strange questions, I know. 😉 It’s just some things that somehow never seem to be covered in articles about translation work.

Oh and big thanks for the really interesting articles so far!^^
    Cheers!

suto

Those are some mighty meaty questions! I’ll get to them sometime, although I’m not sure whether it should go here or on Legends of Localization. I guess I can figure it out later 😛

6. Suto says:

Totally looking forward to it. Thanks a lot for the reply! =)