Journal: Jan. 5, 2012

In a rush today so here’s the quick summary!

Slept in, no exercise, just a tiny bit of work, went shopping and went a little overboard buying yummy strange things, worked a little more with 3D programming (would like to make a simple 2.5D scrolling game soon to get my bearings with it, most likely with Paper Mario-like flat surfaces for everything), got Pushmo but haven’t actually turned it on yet, gonna try out some other games recommended by people soon (thanks!) and ate a lot of said yummy strange food.

This is only half of this day's weird food shopping too...

This is only half of this day’s weird food shopping too…

Also I ran across this image but I’m not sure where it comes from. It makes it clear what horsetail plants are, which is a topic I covered in my Super Mario Bros. 1 Legends of Localization thing a while back. Anyone know where it’s from?

tumblr_md2tiuIM3S1qfgtfho1_500

8 Responses to “Journal: Jan. 5, 2012”

1. LinkTheLefty says:

I’ve seen the whole story illustration scanned on a website called trsrockin.com, but it doesn’t seem to exist anymore. I believe it comes from this older player’s guide: http://www.amazon.com/how-win-super-mario-bros/dp/B000LTT2JA (it says it was a “#1 bestseller in Japan”, which I’m not sure if it means the game or if there was a Japanese version of that same guide).

Cool, thanks! I always wanted to get that guide as a kid but only had the money for it or the Zelda one… and the Zelda one won of course 😛

While doing Legends of Localization I actually did look into just how “based on the Japanese guide” this and the Zelda one were, but I could never find what they actually were based on.

Like what LTL said, it looks like a strategy guide. Unlike him/her, I have no idea on a specific.

3. steinmitz says:

Yeah, in the early issues of Nintendo Power you could order this and another guide for the original Zelda. I used to have this Mario guide, actually, which was mainly just maps of all the levels of the game, with highlights for points of interest like vine locations and so forth. I believe there was also a brief message from Howard Phillips in the back, too. Another thing that’s interesting is that an old JC Pennies catalog used an image of Mario from that little illustrated story in their Super Nes spread for Christmas ’92.

4. skyrunner14 says:

Glad to hear you got Pushmo! Once you start, be sure to let us know what you think of it. And if you get The Denpa Men, tell us what you think of that too 😉

For whatever reason, that “Root Beer Pack” made me LOL. It just seems like anything Root Beer-related is either a liter, a can, or a bag of those little barrel-shaped candies. But that box is full of stuff I don’t recognize. Granted I’m too lazy to enlarge the picture right now, though, so maybe it’s just full of strangely-colored root beer bottles. O_o

Well, I enlarged the photo, and I guess it WAS filled with strangely-colored Root Beer bottles! Weird. I guess it fits in with all of the other strange things, like veggie flavored chips.

What other recommendations are you looking at for 3DS games~? 😀

Yep, they’re a bunch of weird root beers, I wouldn’t have bought them if they were just weird-looking bottles 😛

I haven’t turned on my 3DS in a while but I did get Pushmo the other day. All I did was download it and look at the icon for it though, I haven’t had time to sit down and play games yet :X

I forget what other recommendations people made but I’m gonna go through them all and look at all the videos/details about them later. I feel so left behind when it comes to gaming these days/decades!