Journal: Jan. 4, 2012

It’s still hard to get up at the normal time so I slept in about half an hour or so and got a late start on the day. While doing cardio I got through the giant Sephiroth backstory in the FF7 LP I’m watching. Then I suddenly hurt my elbow while changing clothes so I didn’t do any more exercise the rest of the day – I’ll probably have to stay away from weights and other such stuff for a few more days.

My printer has finally started to act its age and is starting to show signs of dying. It’s a shame, it’s been the best printer I’ve used, but it’s also like 10 years old so maybe they’ve gotten better since then. I’m not hopeful though ๐Ÿ˜›

The other day I finally bought a game for my 3DS – my one and only game so far is Mario Land 2! I loved that game when it came out twenty years ago. Holy crap twenty years ago. While looking through the eShop I saw very little that interested me, but if anyone has any suggestions let me know. I don’t have the time or energy to play long games like you might find at actual stores, so the shorter/more concentrated the fun is, the more I’ll like it. As it is now, I foresee my 3DS being my “handheld that just plays old games” system.

I also did work and work-related research stuff – translating is just one part of my job, a part people often don’t think about is the amount of research that goes into this stuff.

During my super brief amount of free time I also decided to look into how to do some basic 3D stuff in XNA. It’s easy enough to import .fbx models, so I had a Ness model up and rotating in no time. My next step was to create a flat rectangle with a texture on it, but that’s actually surprisingly a lot of work and is still way over my head. I want to at least finally learn the super basics of 3D so I can widen my skill set and possibly do some 3D stuff with some of my future games.

3dtest 2013-01-05 13-54-14-24

Oh yeah, I also saw that the soundtrack for Last Exile season 2 was on iTunes so I grabbed it. I don’t know if it has every song in the show but it has some of my favorites. Some really good music in there! There’s even one that sounds like a twist on the Kakariko Village theme that always messed with my brain at first.

It’s track 13 here: iTunes album

Right now I’m also fond of tracks 1 and 10, but I feel like there are some songs from the show missing that I really liked too.

8 Responses to “Journal: Jan. 4, 2012”

1. Olivia says:

Pushmo is the only game that I would unequivocally recommend to anyone w/a 3DS, regardless of their game tastes, and it seems to fit the bill w/what you’re looking for in a game as well. It’s a puzzle game on the eShop, published by the big N. There’s something like 200 puzzles or so in the game, but each one only takes a few minutes, so it’s really good for short bursts of playtime. There’s also a ton of free, user-generated content as well. You basically just push and pull blocks to make a path to get to the top of a structure in each puzzle, like some weird amalgamation of Tetris and Catherine. There’s gotta be some videos of the gameplay in the eShop, so maybe take a look and see what you think.

2. Darien says:

I would recommend VVVVVV, which is a brilliant retro 2D platformer. There is, of course, also Professor Layton if you like casual puzzling.

3. skyrunner14 says:

OK, you’ve gotta get Swapnote. It lets you send and receive notes from everyone on your friend list. Not a game, but still enjoyable. Almost everyone on Starmen uses it as well. As for actual games, did you look into The Denpa Men like I recommended your last post with my friend code?

• blahmoomoo says:

Not to mention Swapnote is completely free.

I recently bought a bunch of eShop games. Pushmo and Crashmo are recommended. Liberation Maiden is interesting, but only get it if you like fast paced action games. You can also get A Kappa’s Tale in the eShop. Haven’t played it much yet, but the Brownie Brown graphics are really nice.

4. Mr. Tenda says:

This may just be the Masahiro Sakurai fan in me talking, but the 3DS Kid Icarus game might be what you’re looking for. The levels felt the right size to me (not too short and not too long) and the game is great for picking up, playing a level, then turning it off.

• BusterTheFox says:

I agree on that one. It’s fun to play a quick game of Light Vs. Dark and earn some hearts just by having some good ‘ol fun. Also fun playing the first level on intensity level 9. xD If you’re good enough, it’s pretty easy and gets you more hearts than the multiplayer stuff. As for the other games I have, Kingdom Hearts: DreamDropDistance is great, but certainly not a “short play time” game. Mario Kart 7 is always fun, you can play a quick Time Trial race I guess, but the Grand Prix races are the bread and butter of the game, so it might not suit you much. And then there’s Roller Coaster Tycoon 3D. Don’t get it. xD Even if you liked the first three games, you probably won’t like this one.

As for downloadable games, Liberation Maiden is pretty sweet. It’s just so EPIC! The game isn’t even that fun! …Okay, it’s fun. The controls take a bit of getting used to, though. It’s made by Level 5 and has some awesome-looking anime cutscenes with nice voice acting. The big twist that one has is that you basically fire your shields to attack, but they regenerate with time when you aren’t firing, so you have to alternate between attack and defense. Although I find that just shooting haphazardly gets the job done pretty well. ๐Ÿ˜‰ On the first few stages, anyway.

Well, let’s see… There’s always Virtual Console games. I also have Mario Land 2. ๐Ÿ˜€ Such nostalgia…

DSiWare: Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! is a great game with lots of short puzzles. It even has a level editor, and you can download levels other people made. Other than that, the only other DSiWare game I have that has short gameplay is Arcade Bowling. Heh, if you like SkiiBall enough, it’s pretty fun! And it’s, like, two bucks. ;p

As for 3DS-specific software, we’ve got the 3D Classics series, which is basically just 3D virtual console with updated Save features. For instance, Kid Icarus lets you save what level you’re on (a Godsend), and Excitebike doesn’t take half an hour to save your custom courses (and also keeps up to 10 of them stored). I already talked about Liberation Maiden… Everything else is either Pokรฉmon, strange 3rd party stuff that I wish I didn’t buy, or some Blackjack-based galge… Don’t ask. Neither about why I have it nor why it got an English release (although the voice acting is still in Japanese… ugh, such a nerd game to me…).

Those are all of my thoughts. I haven’t played Pushmo or Crashmo, but they kinda remind me of Skylanders, which I originally thought would flop thanks to having to buy all the characters, but somehow it’s a huge hit… and it kinda pisses me off. x’D As a result, those two games, which I always have to see something about when I visit the eShop, also piss me off for basically no reason. I should at least try to demo, I guess… *sigh*

5. Jeremy says:

Pushmo/Crashmo are fun, and have lots of replayability through qr codes. Also, I second/third/fourth(eighth?) the notion of downloading swapnote, it’s pretty much just beefed up pictochat with more extra cool stuff.

6. MotherFan says:

Try The Legend Of Zelda, They have it on virtual console! And I would also recommend Kirby’s Adventure! I’ve played up to about World 3 and I’m really having a great time on it!