Journal Time Maybe

Things have changed like crazy for me over the past few weeks during my cross-country move, and had I had more time I would’ve liked to document stuff more. That got me thinking about maybe trying to do a daily or somewhat daily journal like I used to many years ago, so I’ll give it a shot and see how it goes. So here’s the first one!

Poe and I finally made the move to Tucson after planning it for a long time. She’s working at Fangamer now, while I’m still doing my usual anime/movie/whatever translation work. As a freelancer/contractor I can pretty much work anywhere and during whatever hours I want, which is one of the perks of the job. Still, finding time to make the move while juggling a full plate of translation work was another thing altogether, and indeed I did end up working in our hotel room while getting apartment stuff figured out. I actually wound up paying for an extra day at the hotel than originally planned just so I could get work done – and the money from said work pretty much just paid for the hotel bill, so essentially the work was for nothing ๐Ÿ˜›

But oh well! We finally got the apartment and did a lot of shopping and hair-pullingly stressful bureaucratic red-tape nonsense. Also, it cost a LOT of money to get all our stuff shipped out here, and the experience was so bad that I doubt I’ll do that again. The service was overpriced, late, and poorly managed. But friends/visitors will be happy to know that we actually have furniture! So if you come to visit, there’ll actually be more stuff than usual! And we’ve already found scorpions in the house.

One of the downsides of the move is that suddenly we’re near civilization. We have so many restaurants and Trader Joeses and Whole Foods and other stores that I’ve probably packed on a few pounds in just the last couple weeks, oops ๐Ÿ˜› But luckily we got our exercise equipment back from the moving company so it’ll be nice to get started with those again. Before the move, my daily routine usually had a good amount of cardio bike stuff in the morning and dumbbell-based stuff in the afternoon.

So much other stuff has happened that I’ll just skip most of it. We did start to level up our technology though – I finally have a new phone after ten years of a dumb, smelly, buggy dumbphone! I still haven’t had much time to use it though. It’s an iPhone 4S, as suggested by many online friends. We also got Poe a tiny netbook to use during the transitional period, and at one point this just naturally happened:

I think that’s me writing an update for EarthBound Central, one of the Q&As I think. And every time I see this, I realize how much bigger of a guy I am than I feel. I wonder if other people feel that way. I’m around 6’1″ or 6’2″ but to me that’s always felt not particularly big.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions for iPhone apps or whatever, let me know since I’m essentially an old fogey who’s never messed with this stuff before. It feels strange to enter the 21st century finally. But nice too. I’d like to try my hand at making some small games for it someday, but I’ll need to get a Mac for that someday too…

The last few days have been especially hectic so I’m rushing to catch up with a lot of missed work now. It used to be when I was doing this stuff ten years ago I could do an all-nighter without much trouble at all, but now I feel the sands of time slowing me down to the point that an all-nighter is not a good idea at all. And I think I developed a caffeine allergy while working on the Mother 3 translation, so I can’t rely on it so much either.

Now it is time to sleep for a little while zzz

11 Responses to “Journal Time Maybe”

1. Scottt says:

aaaaa fukken scorpions would be scary

What have you been translating?

All sorts of stuff, mainly these past few weeks/months I’ve been working on the Robotics;Notes simulcast and a bunch of non-simulcast stuff for future release.

And yeah, scorpions are one of my least favorite things about desert life…

So THAT’S what you look like? Somehow, I swear I’ve seen you before…

Jeez, I hate scorpions. I’ve only ever seen one in my life, but I’ve heard that they can get HUGE… Little buggers are mean, too. At least that one appears to be dead.

I never knew you and Poe lived together before! I mean, I was out of the loop before, but… Well, I guess I won’t be so much if you continue these journals.

I’m also interested in what you’ve been working on. Do you almost always have work, or is it more of a “every once in a while” thing? I know it can’t be steady, what with being freelance and everything.

Yep Poe and I got hitched last year.

For my job, I’m actually really lucky in that I almost never have to worry about finding work. I almost always have a full work schedule every week, so it’s a pretty steady gig (although the amount I make from week to week can vary greatly). Every few months I usually start working on a new show or two – usually one is a simulcast (which is pretty stressful sometimes) and the rest are shows that are going to be released for DVD/Blu-ray later on. As a personal rule of thumb I usually don’t talk about what I’m working on due to tricky wording in the confidentiality agreements I’ve signed. That’s why I mention them on my site after they’re finally released (like here) ๐Ÿ˜›

3. Darien says:

Did you ship your stuff through U-Haul? That’s what we did, and it was absurd — it seemed like absolutely nobody at that company has any idea what he should be doing, nobody communicates with everybody else, and everything they tell you is a lie. When we packed this stuff up (which was an adventure in itself — we began the move towing a trailer, and then decided when we got to Edmonton that towing through the Rockies was perhaps not for us, and packed up a box to ship the rest of the way) we were given a timeframe on the delivery and an assurance that it would be delivered directly to our house. It actually arrived more than two weeks later than that, and then they told us they didn’t deliver outside of Anchorage (more than an hour away!), so we had to cajole them and pay them multiple hundreds of money to get them to do what they told us they’d do in the first place. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg with those jokers.

In re: size: whenever I see pictures of me, I’m surprised at how *small* I am. I’m only 5’5″, and I know that, but I have pictures of me with Penn & Teller — you’d expect 6’10” Penn to tower over me, which he does, but I’m noticeably smaller than Teller too! It’s enough to give a guy a complex. ๐Ÿ™‚ Also I’m always surprised by how old I look these days. I know intellectually that I’m in my thirties, but, man, it still sometimes catches me off-guard.

No, we went with Mayflower – I’d used them in the past and the service was a little iffy then, but after this latest catastrophe I’m not gonna use them again if I can help it. I’m not surprised by your story though – it seems like there’s never any company that can get anything right ๐Ÿ™

4. @warm_concrete says:

According to iPhone apps:
    You do want to jailbreak your iPhone 5 when it would be possible, the reason whyโ€”emulators. There are pretty much of them:
    2600.emu
    MAME4iOS + iMame4all
    iZX
    iMasterGear
    ScummVM
    DOSPAD
    iFBA

I think I covered them all.
    I suggest Tweetbot for Twitter.
    Pocket / Readability for reading articles later on you phone.
    Comic Zeal or ComicGlass for comics.
    GoodReader for files.
    Deluxe Flashcards if you still study words.

imiwa?
    japanese by renzo https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/japanese/id290664053?mt=8
    Midori
    30Day japanese words
    these are pretty obvious.

Cool, thanks, I’ll check it out. I only have a 4S, I didn’t splurge all the way and get a 5 ๐Ÿ™

• @warm_concrete says:

Oh, sorry, I thought I read it was iPhone 5 in the post. I have 4S too. ๐Ÿ™‚
        You could check for jailbreak here: http://jailbreak-me.info/.
        Iโ€™m staying on 5.1.1 to keep the emulators working. GBA is awesome on it, itโ€™s just pixel perfect(240ร—160)ร—4 = 960ร—640. Iโ€™ve completed Mother 3 on my phone.