Final Fantasy IV Comparison Update: Mysidia #2

Hooray, I finally updated my Final Fantasy IV comparison stuff! This time we visit Mysidia after turning into a Paladin! Check it out here!

I’m still working without my main computer and have been really busy juggling moving stuff with real-life work stuff and many other things. To try to streamline stuff I put together a simple system that should make it easier for me to focus on the actual content of these pages rather than the formatting-related stuff. Thanks to all the people who helped out with my CSS woes the other day! (I actually need to implement KingDarian’s final solution, right now it uses tables)

With this system I was able to get an update out a little faster than before. I bet with my main computer and a keyboard better than this laptop keyboard I could do even better. There’s still so much more to do though… 😯

A few weeks ago I posted on EarthBound Central about the idea of possibly making print versions of my Legends of Localization stuff – see here. I’d like to get started on this, but FFIV will take me at LEAST until the middle of next year at this rate. But I’d also like to get started on this book stuff soon, so I’m debating with my inner self on what to do with FFIV. The easy answer would be “just start the books with FFIV!” but I’d prefer to start the book stuff off on a much smaller scale – the FFIV LoL is an absolutely colossal project and probably wouldn’t be a good one to start off with.

That’s just where I’m at now – I’ll post more as stuff develops. Right now I’m leaning toward having my MOTHER 3 translation notes be the first one I go with, but I might do a poll in the near future here and on EBC to get clearer feedback.

Whatever the case, I’m glad to be working on Legends of Localization again!

16 Responses to “Final Fantasy IV Comparison Update: Mysidia #2”

1. steinmitz says:

One of my favorite lines in the original Snes translation is when the black mage near the Elder says something like, “How does one become evil? I don’t know. Everyone is an innocent baby at first.” I was wondering what the original Japanese text for that was, because that initial translation seems really well done to me. (In my opinion, it’s better than anything in the Snes FF3 translation.)So far I’ve just skimmed through the post, so maybe you addressed this and I just didn’t notice,in which case this would all be redundant. Anyway, I love what your doing here, and I’m really looking forward to some more!

2. Mato says:

Wow I said “stuff” a lot in that news post…

3. The first comparison uses the FF2 screenshot on both sides.

Nice to see another update.

4. TLM says:

Something I noticed when I was looking through an LP the other day is that the Elder is a little surprised that Mt Ordeals returned Palom and Porom alive! And now I see that the implication that he expected them to die is missing from the original Japanese…
    Kind of a screw up?

Wow, good point! I can’t believe I missed that – I just added it in there. Man, I gotta get my act together, heh.

• TLM says:

Well, it’s kinda a coincidence that I was reading the LP a few days ago.
        I liked the fact that you put some stuff from the DS in there. It sort of shows the change in translation between then and now. 🙂
        The players of whatever game it is aren’t going to be as accepting of a bad translation as they used to, I guess.

I find the lack of the promise to the Lunarians in all the English versions pretty interesting. Seems like something pretty important to leave out.

6. Justin says:

Since you linked to the first Mysidia page up above, I thought I’d mention that swoon is also what it says on the menu screen when a character has 0 HP. This is written where there character class usually goes. I think, but I might be wrong, that this is translated as “K.O.” in either later versions or different FF games.

Another thing you might want to point out is some of the classes in the game. I’m not sure if you’ve touched on any besides the Dragon Knight/Dragoon difference, but I know that the SNES calls mages “Wiz.” (I assume short for Wizard). Also, Yang’s class is “Karate”, and Cid the Engineer is a “Chief”. I always thought that was a pretty clever one.

7. steinmitz says:

Thank you, Mato! Should of noticed that before.

8. steinmitz says:

I’ll make this short, since I should have read the section you pointed me to BEFORE I posted again, thereby condensing my appreciation for your response and this comment about the translation, but anyway… I definitely like the American version of that text more; having “born” and “newborn” in the same sentence seems repetitive. I also apologize for going back to a topic regarding the first Mysidia post; definitely’ll have to read more thoroughly to avoid such backtracking. Anyway, thanks again!

Well, to be fair the “newborn” part is just there because I wanted to make it clear – there are plenty of other ways of phrasing it that wouldn’t sound so monotonous. The Japanese text doesn’t have that issue, for example.

9. PlainOlJoe says:

I find it interesting that later ports of FFIV just pretend that the black mage at the bar is still drunk, yet it seems he has sobered up in the original.

10. steinmitz says:

Thank you for that clarification, Mato!

11. Darien says:

In re: “earth,” I’ve always preferred scripts that use it to scripts that try to avoid it by using a generic “the world” or a fake-o fantasy world name. I guess, to me, it’s wrapped up with the conceit that these people are speaking in English; I can accept that whatever else they’re saying in their crazy medieval Lunarian dialect comes to me in modern English, and I have no problem accepting that the term they use to describe their world comes through as “earth.”

And speaking of getting on the ball, I need to get to work harvesting DS screenshots! So many games came out all at once, and I got distracted. 😮