Final Fantasy IV Comparison: Mysidia

It took a while, but today we’re visiting Mysidia for the first time! Prayers, pubs, and twins await! See here!

17 Responses to “Final Fantasy IV Comparison: Mysidia”

1. Now you have me curious about that white mage. The fact that you can trigger the event a second time is just how FF4’s event code works. They could’ve easily made the mage jump over another tile into the tree, though. It reminds me of a similar thing you could do with Cid in FF3, where you could make him jump through the wall of his house if you talked to him multiple times. It almost seems like it could be a reference to that.

One thing that’s becoming apparent is that FF2’s script, as cut down as it is, is pretty faithful to the original. It’s interesting to see the lines that were essentially reversed, yet kept their original meaning. I wish this game got a little more editing by a native speaker. Funny thing is, until reading this, I never picked up on half of the awkwardness. I guess I just mentally corrected all of the odd stuff. It’s also been a really long time since I paid any attention to the dialogue in this version.

Which FF3 do you mean? I haven’t played the Famicom FF3 yet but I’m assuming that’s what you mean since I don’t remember Cid jumping around inside the house on the island in FF6 😛

And yeah, aside from the censorship and missing lines, the translation isn’t that far off from the original text. What’s mostly lost is a lot of nuance and the fact that the text sounds normal in Japanese but wonky in English. I think the game’s age and the actual content of what’s being said in the game is what outshines the translation’s writing quirks.

I feel a similar way about EarthBound’s translation – it has lots of similar weird nuance issues and plenty of weird minor text issues, but the content of the text far outshines its presentation, to the point that most people don’t notice its problems.

• Yeah, I was talking about the Famicom FF3. Here’s a video:

• And you should really get around to playing that one some day soon. Playing the original FF1 and FF2 (especially) feels masochistic nowadays, but FF3 really stands the test of time. It’s a pretty balanced game outside of a few sections; the DS remake is actually more imbalanced (and much less fun) than the original…kind of like FF4, actually. The original Famicom version has its rough spots, but overall it’s just a fun experience. I can’t say the same about the two that preceded it.

• PlainOlJoe says:

There is actually is a variation of this in FFVI. In the World of Ruin, if you talk to Sabin’s mentor, Duncan, he will normally give you the Bum Rush technique. However, this only occurs if you have Sabin in your party. If you talk to Duncan without Sabin in your party, you will just see him jumping around and training. You can pause the game mid-jump, which will cause Duncan to continue to jump in that same direction. If you continue to do this, eventually Duncan will jump through the walls, off the screen, and into the abyss.

Also, just recently discovered this while lurking on Reddit. Excellent job.

2. SomeUser says:

That old lady going “fa fa fa” is really weird to me
    maybe it’s just the romaji

“but it could possibly be “Gramps” too. In which case the elder would be their grandfather, but I’m not sure if that’s actually the case.”

It might make sense to be “Gramps”, as like a semi-maybe-insulting-or-familiar-thingy-probably-misused-hyphens

Okay that “wow!” thing is so annoying I just dunno how even by a non-native speaker just afsjdlkasdf

3. Catherine says:

Just as there’s evidence for the spelling “Mythidia” in reference to myths, there’s also evidence for the spelling “Mysidia” in reference to mystical abilities– it is, after all, the city of wizards.

This is true! I’m actually in the middle of watching an LP of the Famicom FFII and am at the Mysidia part of that game. Except now I forget if there are any myths involved there.

It also makes me wonder if the name “Dissidia” has any sort of relation/contrast to this name, since I imagine they’re spelled similarly in Japanese. But I’m guessing it’s just coincidence.

4. “Fell into an unable-to-fight state!” maybe they could’ve gone with something like “Pacified!” or “Enemy was Pacified!”

I’m fine with the name “Mysidia”. I’m pretty used to it, and it is also in Final Fantasy II… well, the REAL Final Fantasy II. Actually, that’s a good point: Both FFIIs have a Mysidia in them.

Wait, what does draining stamina have to do with the name Serpent?

I loled the Anonymous reference in the secret text. Those guys scare the hell out of me.

lol @ Spaceballs reference

I always enjoyed Palom and Porom, but it took me forever to figure out how to say their names. It may look simple in print, but i actually found it difficult to figure out which syllable to put the accent on, and whether the vowels were long or short. Luckily, once again, the DS version came to the rescue on that.

What recent translation did you use the word Paladin in? Or can you not tell yet?

I guess the idea is that serpents will bite you and hurt you a lot as you go through a road filled with them? I’m not really sure.

My Paladin translation was in a show I’m working on that has JRPGs as sort of its background theme. It’s called Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero and it’s streaming on the FUNimation site. It’s mostly about boobs though.

• Jungyin says:

“Wait, what does draining stamina have to do with the name Serpent?”

I’m thinking that they wanted to replace the “devil” in the name with a being that was similarly viewed as evil yet not something that was easily linked to religion, but didn’t consider the context or the details of the portal the name belonged to.

5. Something I kind of forgot about until now, the speed of the Twin command has been changed between versions. You might want to cover that in the next article if you’re not already planning on it. In general, the command is much more practical in FF2, since the twins cast their spells faster (I’m having a hard time remembering if this change applies to Easy Type as well), whereas in FF4 you’re usually better off just having Palom wreck enemies with his elemental spells.

I thought something might be up with that, so I’ll give it a try and figure out how to talk about it. If there were some sort of hacking document that shows precisely how it differs between the two versions that’d help a lot.

6. I don’t think anyone ever found what was changed. It isn’t done via the spells’ casting time or the table used to delay other commands, since Twin has 0 delay in every version. Even Deathlike2’s guide is uncharacteristically vague about the change:

“When executed, both twins go into
    ‘Twin’ status and consume time based on their Agility.

In the FF2 SNES version, the duration of Twin status is much shorter.”

Other aspects of the command have been thoroughly documented, but not this one. Speaking of which, the game actually uses this command internally to make Golbez and FuSoYa cast W.Meteo against Zemus. (Strangely, I can’t find any documentation on -that- either, but it’s common knowledge among FF4 hackers at this point. I’m just not sure if W.Meteo is hardcoded to one/both of their character IDs or that particular battle.)

7. Heidi Poe says:

Oh, weird. For the “Swoon” thing, they changed it to say “KO!” in the GBA version. I thought maybe the big bird thing was shouting “koh!” before it died or something. I did consider it could mean “knock out”. I haven’t come across any other enemies that die instantly from this sword yet, though.