Call for FFIV Screenshots

Over the past few weeks a couple really nice people have been helping me out with my Final Fantasy IV comparison stuff by sending lots of screenshots from versions of FFIV that I’m not actively playing – namely the Playstation version and the J2E fan translation.

I’d love to have more screenshots to reference if possible though, so if anyone has the energy to go through the entire game using one of these versions and get screenshots for me that’d be super swell:

• GBA English translation
  • DS English translation
  • PSP English translation

…Are there any more than that? I feel like FFIV is one of the most ported FFs out there, if not THE most.

Anyway, I don’t intend to do super-duper comparisons with these versions, but I would like to have them for reference so I can mention them once in a while whenever it seems especially interesting, kind of like what I’ve done on some of the existing pages.

22 Responses to “Call for FFIV Screenshots”

1. V-King says:

There’s also the (Japanese only) WonderSwan Color version of FF4.
    And I don’t know if it has any changes but FF4 is also on the Wii Virtual Console.

The WSC version actually may be kinda important as it served as the basis of FF4 Advance.

• I want to take a look at the WSC version again some day. It was the first portable version, it deserves better documentation than it has. The game was evidently recoded from scratch, which fixed a ton of bugs, but also introduced a ton more, which were retained for the GBA versions. I wonder if the state of WSC emulation has improved any since the last time I gave that version a run.

I mentioned it before, but the US VC release is just the 1.1 version of FF2.

Yeah, I remember being jealous of Japanese gamers and how they got a cool-looking upgraded version of FFIV for the Wonderswan. If it’s this buggy and poorly presented though, maybe it’s for the best that we didn’t get it. I’d be interested to know more about it for sure, though!

• Heidi Poe says:

FFIV Advance is based on the WSC version? Is that why they let me arrange my magic spells into three rows in the menu, but when I’m in battle they condense them down to two rows (which totally screws up my organization)?

2. PlainOlJoe says:

I have the PSP version, but I do not know how to take screenshots (save low quality taken from an actual camera.) I’m not sure I even have the technology to take a screenshot. However, if I can find a way, I will gladly contribute.

I think there’s some thing you can download to your PSP that lets you take screenshots of anything, but as I don’t have a PSP anymore I can’t really help much 🙁 I dunno if PSP emulators even exist, if so, that could be another way to do it.

3. Magicxgame says:

There’s also a Japanese-only mobile port that seems to be heavily based on the GBA version.

Also, in an interview with FF4DS’ translator, he says that the PSP version mostly uses the GBA script with some DS terminology thrown in. I haven’t played the PSP version, so I can’t confirm this.

4. Joseph Xu says:

It’s true. Land of Summon Monsters is called the Feymarch the Legend sword is called the Mythgraven Blade, all of that has been retained. The purpose in that is because The After Years uses that terminology since it was really a sequel to the DS version and is considered in that same vein.

5. Cats says:

I can get some PSP screenshots (I have PSP AV cables and an HDPVR to capture footage). However, I can confirm what has already been stated in that is is HEAVILY copied from the GBA script, with only minor changes.

What kind of things would you be interested in seeing from it though? Any particular places/scenes (including ones you have already gone through). I have video of the entire game stored, but the quality isn’t as good as I could be (was still perfecting settings at the time), and I think you’d desever the highest quality I can deliver!

Wow, cool!

Honestly, having as many text screenshots from the entire game as possible would be best, but if that’s way too much work (it’s turning out to be a ton of work for me with just the 16-bit versions 😛 ) then just the key event scenes in the game/key in-battle text would be okay.

Man, I hope no new versions are released before I finish this project… 😯

You shouldn’t need from both the GBA and PSP, they actually have the exact same translations. Every other version is diffrent though.

I’ve actually heard that the PSP translation is basically the GBA version but with DS stuff mixed in. I’d like to see if there’s truth to that, you know? Plus I’d like to have screenshots for reference and so that I can include them once in a while in some of the comparison pages.

• Deraj626 says:

Pretty much. It’s based on the GBA translation but with some improvements from the DS version inserted. I see where you’re coming from.

7. necrosaro says:

Tomato!! Long time! Where is your cross-country move taking you?

endless apologies for the ff4 J2e translation.. I was young, and let someone else revise the script. though I think we published multiple versions, one of which (maybe the earlier / less known one?) was a more direct translation, without the extra liberties.

I also published a patch that took the ff4 chronicles scripts (which I thought was very good), and pasted it on top of the FF4 j2e work. That was in my opinion the best playable version of the game out there. Though I don’t know if this patch still exists anywhere, haha~

Whoa, hey! How’s it going? Haven’t talked to you in like a million years 😯

I’m actually moving out to Tucson in a few weeks (from Florida).

I was thinking last night how it was a lot of fun working with you on those early projects of mine – in fact Lagrange Point was my first ROM translation (although it’s sadly still not done after 12+ years). Then there was that Puyo Puyo 2 game, and I think a few others I worked on with you. I never really interacted with anusp or the FFIV stuff, I just remember there was a lot of weird complicated stuff surrounding it, like maybe there were a lot of competing FFIV translation projects and they somehow merged into one?

Anyway, good to hear from you again! I guess that Tokimeki translation never happened? I wonder if anyone’s done it in the 12 years since then.

• necrosaro says:

Awesome, hope the move goes well! I did my own cross-country move a while back (from Connecticut), I’ve been living in San Francisco for the past couple years.

Yeah, Tokimemo never happened (yet..?). Basically, the script was only half-done and completely unedited, and after graduating high school I never found enough big chunks of time to try and get the ball rolling on it again. I’m still amazed that there’s still interest in this old game, 10+ years later.

I’ve been thinking lately though that I’d love to find another community project to sink my teeth into. We’ll see what comes up~
        (hmm.. perhaps since you’ve been digging into the FF4 translations these days, we could try and polish up a much higher-quality translation than the old project, and release a brand new patch after all these years? how bout it?)

btw, I just read that you worked on the Summer Wars localization, which I just happened to watch a week ago. Nice work~!

I’m tempted to do a simple translation hack of FFIV and or Easy Type sometime, but as it is I barely have time to even update with new pages 😐 But it’d definitely be fun to work on some small stuff with you again sometime!

8. Darien says:

I’m happy to pinch a whole bunch of DS screens for you if you want. You want, like, *all* the text? I can do that, but it’ll take a while, since DS screenshooting is a bear. I can also limit myself to bits where there’s an interesting difference from the versions you’ve already done, if it suits you.

I’ve just done a cross-country move myself (from Massachusetts to beautiful sunny Alaska), so I can sympathise with you. Good luck with it! It was a bear, but it was also an awesome experience.

Well, at the very least it’d be nice to have screenshots of all the plot-related scenes in the game. Ideally it’d be nice to have screens of EVERYTHING but I think only a few people in this world are crazy enough to do that (I did it with three other versions already, I’m that crazy)

9. OnlineOracle says:

I could VERY easily get iOS screenshots if that helps, as it is basically just the DS version. I have a save file right before the final boss, so ending text would be a piece of cake. I could also teleport out for any other text if that’s needed.

Let me know if you need anything, and I’ll be sure to email back.

Sure, that’d be swell! But don’t go out of your way or anything, only if it’s something you really wanna do. I’d like to genuinely see once and for all how the iOS script might’ve changed from the DS script, but as it is it’s hard enough to compare all 80 versions of the game 😛

• OnlineOracle says:

Okay. Let me know what you want specifically, just keep in mind certain mid game text can be hard to get, although there is a function to view certain cutscenes if that’s what you want. Here’s to hoping I can redeem the bad image it gets from the infamous “Load Captain” typo!