Working on a Zelda Clone, Part 16

I got some more progress done on this project over the past couple days or so, no thanks to power outages and tornadoes and such though.

Stuff
I did so much stuff and I didn’t really document it much. The big thing is that I worked a lot more on the fine detail of the player’s state, started using some more Zelda series assets for testing, and finally implemented the actual game world system.

The engine now feels more like a Zelda game now. It somehow feels more “real” now and not just me fiddling with numbers and boxes and invisible things like enemy AI scripting and such.

Map Editing
This also leads to a big problem I’ve been dreading – the map editor. I know there are various tile-based XNA libraries and tile editors out there, but I don’t know if they’ll be able to handle this the way I’m planning to lay things out. I really, really don’t want to have to make my own map editor though. That’ll kill the enthusiasm for the project really quick, so I’ll have to look for something. I know there’s some sort of generic paint program out there that’s also good for tile/map editing, I’ll check that out I guess.

For now, only one screen on the entire map is hand-populated, all the rest are randomly-generated. Even so, it’s a big step up from just a couple days ago and a huge step up from this!

Download

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

One Response to “Working on a Zelda Clone, Part 16”

  1. Michael says:

    Looking good Mato! I’m impressed on how quickly this is coming along.

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!