Hell Yeah Games

I was thinking about this the other day and even made a quick Twitter post about it, but I might as well ask here too.

You know how us 20-30-somethings look back at the 16-bit era and are like, “Hell yeah, Chrono Trigger!” or “Aww yeah, EarthBound!” I can think of a couple dozen games like that for the Super NES alone.

What Wii and DS games are going to be like that come 5 to 10 years from now? I honestly can’t think of many at all, it’s weird. Some that come to mind are Phoenix Wright, No More Heroes, and Wii Sports. Are there any other games that’ll be “hell yeah, _____”?

10 Responses to “Hell Yeah Games”

1. Durp676 says:

Although it definitely doesn’t apply to you, I’m quite enthusiastic about the Uncharted series.

Yeah, I’m talking mostly Nintendo games here, there’s definitely a lot of awesome and someday-nostalgic games on Sony and Microsoft platforms. Maybe it’s because Nintendo is mostly shovelware/cookie-cutter sequels now, I dunno.

2. NekoKnight says:

Super Mario Galaxy, maybe?
    And of course, there’s The Wind Waker. But that’s actually a GameCube game. As for the DS, I really liked Sonic Rush. Which is shocking even to me, because I normally don’t like Sonic games.

Yeah, good call, definitely Mario Galaxy. I think most Mario games will get that treatment though, now that I think about it.

3. Old West says:

I thought the DS Castlevania games rocked.

As for Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns.

4. jackeccs says:

I think “hell yeah” games died when our childhoods died. Havn’t felt that way since SNES or PSX.

• jackeccs says:

Ogre Battle/Harvest Moon on N64?

I dunno, there’s been a lot of games since the PSX days that I really liked a lot and that probably had mainstream appeal/attention. I just feel like Nintendo especially has been lackluster for a long time now.

5. Anonymous says:

I liked the golden sun series, oh and advance wars was fricken’ sweet. Wow actually I liked alot of GBA and NDS games now that I think about it… Megaman battle network, megaman zero, boktai, wario ware, kuru kuru kururin, contra advance, gradius advance, elite beat agents/osu, the 3d ff3, tales of the world…

I could go on and on there but now that I think about any of the more challenging games up there will never be nostalgic to kids these days because they don’t take pride in a challenging game anymore. Too many games are all hype and graphics now that video games are mainstream hipster material.

I don’t think all hope is lost though. The new super mario bros was verrrry refreshing, mario cart too but thats about as far it goes for the games I like on the wii. Though just from seeing what my younger cousins and other young peeps play the most halo and cod are probably gonna be the hell yeah games for their generation.

6. Anonymous says:

Can’t really agree with you here, Mato. At least not completely.

I think Nintendo of America’s localization problems are a big part of this sentiment. Xenoblade Chronicles seems to be shaping up to be that sort of game for Europe, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Last Story is as well.

Some of my favourite Nintendo-published DS games weren’t released outside of Japan (officially), Jump Superstars, Jump Ultimate Stars, and Soma Bringer. Though I can’t fault Nintendo for the first two. The online was pretty popular for a while, and it actually did really well through the gray market.

Still, the DS has a ton of great games. I think I’d get excited if someone mentioned Contact, Infinite Space, or Trauma Center. I know I’ve seen lasting love for Elite Beat Agents, Mario and Luigi 3, Professor Layton, and The World Ends With You, even though I haven’t played them. There’s also a ton of games that I’ve seen people gush about for their uniqueness, like Scribblenauts or Ghost Trick: I’m sure people will remember it fondly.

The Wii’s undeniably got it harder, but besides the obvious stuff like Galaxy and Brawl, Monster Hunter seems to be doing surprisingly well there. It’s the PSP’s baby in Japan, but supposedly it’s more popular on the Wii in America. I’m hearing a few things about Rhythm Heaven, but I don’t know if it’s really taken off. Personally, I’d get excited over Opoona or Excitebots too.

I guess you’re referring to more mainstream appeal, but I guess I’ve never been too in touch with the mainstream. After all, I like EarthBound.

…I really shouldn’t ramble so much.