Maybe I’m Getting Old

A while back I got a PS3, and one of the first games I got was Uncharted because everyone was raving about the second game and how great it was. I wanted to play the first one first just so I wasn’t left out of the loop. I quickly found it extremely tedious and it was 90% “run a little bit, fight a buttload of guys from behind cover, kill them, run a little bit, fight a buttload of guys from behind cover, etc., etc.” To this day I can’t understand why people liked Uncharted 1 so much – it even won some Game of the Year awards and is highly rated. I guess I must’ve been playing it wrong or something. It just felt not very special. I haven’t tried the second game because I’m worried it’ll be just like the first – everyone raves about it but it winds up being meh.

Recently I played through Mass Effect because everyone kept talking about it. It was weird at first but I grew to really like it a lot, especially once I figured out the item system. I bought the sequel immediately after beating the first game – everyone was saying how much more awesome the second game is, but I can’t help but think the entirely exact opposite. It ripped out almost all of the RPG gameplay and turned into almost a pure shooter. It was very well-polished for sure, but felt otherwise lifeless. Again, I feel confused, like, “This is really what people like?”

It’s not the case with all games though – I love the God of War games, for example. It’s just so strange how these supposed ultra top-tier games nowadays feel lifeless to me. I guess I’m getting old or something. It also makes me want to start making games that would appeal to me, maybe there are other people out there in the same boat as me. But doubt I’ll have time anytime in the near future for that 😛

9 Responses to “Maybe I’m Getting Old”

1. EBM says:

D’awww… if it helps, I don’t think you’re old. I’m twenty and I don’t even get a lot of this hype. I guess it’s probably because I’m an RPG-lover at heart, though. Never had much of a mind for those types of games anyways. I still spend my days talking about SNES games I liked and ’90s cartoons.
    You know, I think I would like playing a game you made that appealed to you. If you ever get around to it, I’ll be sure to try it out.
    Oh, hey, I was also wondering… do you remember PBCrisps? A Planters product that had a short run in the ’90s? THAT WAS THE GREATEST SNACK OF ALL TIME.

Yep, I remember PB Crisps, I didn’t have them too often though. There are lots of snacks I wish were still around, a lot of them from Planters in fact. I wonder if there’s a museum that sells old snacks.

• niespeludo says:

You have just given a written translation of my thoughts exactly. I don’t recall the PBCrisps snacks, though. Mato… you are not old, we are simply people that grew in the 80s and 90s… which means we know better .

2. TMMDI says:

I know what you mean. The only games that actually interest me nowadays are classics like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger and sandbox games like Garry’s Mod and Minecraft.

3. Skullrama says:

It just means you have taste.

Maybe try Dragon Age if you like all the RPG stuff, I had a good time with it.

4. angryeyebrows says:

I think the same thing about a lot of new games. My biggest complaint comes from action titles feeling too linear. Someone made a drawing that’s been around the net comparing “old” FPS games (an overhead map of a Doom level) to “new” FPS games. The Doom level is literally a labyrinth, while the new one is basically a line with a kink in it (and some cutscenes). Having gone back and played Doom recently, I can attest that many of the levels feel different every time you play them, because they are so open-ended. I just completed Portal 2 the other day, a very good game, but it felt like I was being forced into one path the whole time.

Portal 2 has the appearance of being very open-ended. With the concept of making portals on walls, it should be! But the whole time, I could tell that there was one specific right answer to every puzzle, and only one. It kills replay value, and it makes the game less immersive.

I think companies are making games more like this because open-endedness is expensive and complicated to do, and with production costs rising already, replay value gets stiffed. They’d much rather have people buy a new title rather than play the old one again.

Another example I’d like to give is Grand Theft Auto III versus IV. I remember playing GTA3, losing a mission where a you have to kill a mob boss going from one place to another, because I tried executing it in the obvious manner (chasing the car). After failing, I then parking a bus in the path of the target because I knew where he was headed, and started the mission again and won because I pulled some crazy trick like and thought outside the box. GTA4 is a beautiful game, but they “fixed” it so that you can really only beat the missions one way. GTA3 will always be my favorite.

That’s my two cents.

5. angryeyebrows says:

The image I was referring to:

6. Chris says:

Old, old article, but just stumbled upon it recently. I had the same trouble with Red Dead Redemption. I just played it recently, way after the fact, but I remember it being insanely praised — and while it was fun, I still don’t really understand why everyone was so gaga over it.

The entire thing was chock-full of dialogue (which you could skip, unless you had to ride somewhere with someone…) Honestly, Westerns, especially the Leone ones, are not that talky… so in that regard, it doesn’t really get the tone/feeling right.

Also, there was a lot of nonsense cutscenes that you had to go through before actually getting into the missions. I quickly lost interest and began skipping them, but the actual gameplay would only be in ten minute spurts before you had to go off and engage in another quest. Meh.